We have done some new original research to see how people are managing their time in 2021.
Using detailed analysis of 5 questions we’ve discovered:
– Less than 1 in 5 people (18%) have a proper time management system.
– 82% of people don’t have a time management system. They just use a list, their email inbox or nothing at all.
– The Eisenhower matrix is the most successful time management technique.
– 100% of people using this technique feel their work is under control either 4 or 5 days per week.
– The least successful time management technique is ‘dealing with whatever comes up’.
– 28% of people using this technique feel their work is never or very rarely (1 day per week) under control.
– 1 in 8 people (12.5%) never feel under control at work.
– 49% of people have never carried out a time audit to see how they spend their time.
The questions we asked were:
Let’s take a look at what we found.
1: 18% OF PEOPLE HAVE A DEDICATED TIME MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.
82% OF PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A DEDICATED TIME MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.
2: 33% OF PEOPLE USE A TO DO LIST TO MANAGE THEIR TIME AND TASKS.
3: 24% OF PEOPLE USE THEIR EMAIL INBOX AS THEIR TIME AND TASK MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.
4: 12% OF PEOPLE SCHEDULE ALL OF THEIR TASKS IN THEIR DIARY IN ADVANCE.
5: 25% OF PEOPLE “JUST DEAL WITH WHATEVER SEEMS MOST IMPORTANT AT THE TIME”
1: 20% OF PEOPLE FEEL THAT THEIR WORK IS UNDER CONTROL EVERY DAY
2: 66% (2/3rds) OF PEOPLE FEEL THAT THEIR WORK IS UNDER CONTROL MOST OF THE TIME (AT LEAST 3 DAYS PER WEEK
3: OVER 20% (21%) FEEL THAT THEIR WORK IS EITHER NEVER UNDER CONTROL OR ONLY UNDER CONTROL 1 DAY PER WEEK.
4: MORE 10% OF PEOPLE (1 in 8) FEEL THAT THEIR WORK IS NEVER UNDER CONTROL
MORE THAN 1 IN 4 (28%) OF PEOPLE USING THIS FEEL THEIR WORK IS UNDER CONTROL NEVER OR ONLY ONE DAY PER WEEK.
2: THE EISENHOWER MATRIX IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL (“BEST”) STRATEGY.
50% OF PEOPLE WITH THIS ANSWER FEEL THEIR WORK IS UNDER CONTROL EVERY DAY.
50% OF PEOPLE WITH THIS ANSWER FEEL THAT THEIR WORK IS UNDER CONTROL 4 DAYS OF THE WEEK.
3: THE POMODORO TECHNIQUE IS THE SECOND MOST SUCCESSFUL TIME MANAGEMENT STRATEGY.
60% OF PEOPLE USING THIS TECHNIQUE FEEL THAT THEIR WORK IS UNDER CONTROL 4 OR 5 DAYS PER WEEK.
An Eisenhower matrix worksheet can be found at the bottom of time management course page.
1: 1 IN 5 PEOPLE CARRY OUT A TIME AUDIT REGULARLY (AT LEAST ONCE PER MONTH) TO SEE HOW THEY ARE SPENDING THEIR TIME.
2: ALMOST 1 IN 3 (31%) OF PEOPLE CARRY ONE OUT OCCASIONALLY.
3: ALMOST HALF (49%) OF PEOPLE HAVE NEVER CARRIED OUT A TIME AUDIT TO UNDERSTAND HOW THEY SPEND THEIR TIME.
For details on how to carry out a time audit please see our article: how to carry out a time audit.
To learn how to have more impact with your emails see this article on writing persuasive emails.
The research for these statistics was carried out using Pollfish. 500 people were surveyed.
It polled a representative sample of working people. It was evenly split between male (46%) and female (54%).
It was evenly split between age groups with 20% of the replies being received from people in each of the following age categories.